Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Long time...

It's been a long time since we posted an update here. It was a very busy summer semester for me, my first one full time at the university. It is definitely easier working a four day week during the fall and spring than the 5 day week during the summer. Also, I am much more of a night owl than a morning person, so I took the change in schedule a bit hard. Thankfully, classes finished this past Thursday, grades were in Friday, and my students were over for an end of semester potluck on Saturday.

August was looking pretty open with a few plans in the works. I was going to join my folks in Quebec for a quick visit and a family reunion on Dad's side, but it turns out that flying to the back of the beyond is an expensive endeavor. So, I am here in Chicago enjoying our scorchingly hot and humid weather and entertaining our most recent guest. Sofia, my 14 year old cousin, arrived from Mexico on Tuesday. We have took her to Michigan Ave. and Millenium Park today in the 40 degree weather and she didn't even pass out. We've introduced her to Thai food, slushies, and American Girl Place. Well, you can't say she's not getting a culturally rounded experience! William has been home to partake of the sightseeing and relaxing. Unfortunately, he is off to burbs tomorrow as he is now officially posted to a new project.

We've also been enjoying Malora and Charlie's company recently. Seeing as they live just around the corner, it's pretty easy to visit with them. We headed out to the lake on July 3 for the fireworks and enjoyed some good conversation and wine. Actually celebrated July 4th with American's this year...go figure! Malora and Will have also been checking out some of the local eateries as they were both 'working from home' and Charlie and I did some 'work' from a downtown theatre one evening. :) All in all, we are glad to have them returned from the motherland to practically our front door!

Susie was sick this past week. She spent Sunday and Monday throwing up and wouldn't eat for days. She caused Will and I a great deal of worry, but I think it was harder for Will as he was home and I was busy with final exams. He took her to the vet's office a few times and now she is on the road to recovery...currently hiding during the thunderstorm, which for Susie is normal behavior.

Hope everyone is well. We hope to be able to catch up with everyone this month...before the fall semester starts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home