In the last two months...
I've been very remiss in my blogging lately...for which I apologize. We finished off September by celebrating Oktoberfest...don't ask. Apparently it's a German thing. We just knew there was going to be good food and beer, so we went...and pretended it was already October. Malora and Charlie did a great job hosting their party (see pics on Flickr) and Malora (aka Martha Stewart) had the place decorated to the nines...from the ceiling, to the table, even to her husband!(Really you must see the photos...Charlie in liederhosen cuts a dashing figure...as does Malora in her 'fetching' derendel (sp?)). The food was also phenomenal...Malora even went so far as to have us wear cookies around our necks. :) I won't pretend I understood our American friends' strange German customs, but I truly felt I was in the 'Old Country'...all we needed was Julie Andrews singing '...the hills our alive'. We rounded off our German experience with some dancing at Spin and meandered home, very thankful that we live nearby.
October made me another year older. I welcomed in this year with a cold and a pot of chicken soup. William's and Malora's efforts as well as phone calls from friends and family helped to alleviate my sniffles and coughing somewhat...for which I am very grateful. :) I missed several days of work that week and must say that this semester has been particularly bad for colds and flus. I've had three this fall. :( Who said teaching was rewarding??
November started off with our second annual Day of the Dead dinner which was a lot of fun and, I think, a great success. No pics are available...sorry. William and I were too busy eating all the fantastic food that people brought and visiting with everyone. People are getting more into the spirit of things...now that they realize that there are no seances or chanting. :) The emphasis is more on the good food and good company and remembering the dead by living well.
Some big news did come our way as well this month...Daniel, member of La Catrina Quartet (see link on the side panel) and dear friend, will be playing with the Quartet at CARNEGIE HALL in January!!! We are all so proud and happy for Daniel and Crystal...though not surprized. If you've listened to the music on their website, it is clear that they are a world class quartet. :)
On a more personal note, William and I will be quite busy from now until the end of the year. William's mom arrives tomorrow and will be with us for a week. This is her second time in Chicago. We're looking forward to relaxing (and eating) with her over the Thanksgiving weekend. I will finish up school here soon and will be off to see my parents. I will then come back in time to unpack, wash clothes and repack them for our trip to Japan! :) We are flying to Tokyo and will be spending Christmas and New Years in the land of the rising sun. We will also be visiting and touring around with a friend of mine from grad school. We are both very excited about our upcoming trip. I have been studying a bit of Japanese and bugging some of my students for information and pronunciation tips. ;) It's been good fun learning a language that is so different from the ones I already know. It's been a challenge, but one I enjoy. I've also been reading up on the places we'll visit, but with final exams and grades due, my progress has been slowed.
Well, that's my update. I'll write again...in January! :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home