Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Mexico

Hello all! I've been meaning to write about my trip to Mexico for a while now, but when I got back, I hit the ground running for the summer semester. We are now two weeks into the semester and I am just now feeling some of the pressure release from what was a very busy start. I even managed to watch a movie yesterday, a Monday, after working all weekend. :)

So, Mexico...was great! It was a wonderful trip...for so many reasons. I have to say that escaping the unending winter here attributed to my appreciation for Mexico's climate. The company of family and good friends was also a major factor. Donna accompanied me on part of this trip. My dear friend joined me for a week in Mexico City for some sight seeing, tons of good food, and visiting. I think she actually met most of the family. Everyone was so gracious and sweet to us. My Aunt Felita fed us well and let us crash after our days of sightseeing at her house. We started the first day off with world class tacos with Crystal at La Lechuza which set the tone for good company and scrumptious food. Ofelia and Fernando took us out for even more delicious Mexican food...Donna tried everything...from her first plate of mole to chapulines and mezcal (grasshoppers and booze) :). She's an adventurous traveller that one. :) I've never even eaten the chapulines. She and Luciana shared some. My cousin Jesus took good care of us as we escaped to Cuernavaca on the weekend and even waited patiently while the girls shopped. Susana and Luciana graciously helped with the tourist guide duties and showing us around. :) Jesus' long day of shopping was compensated by an afternoon spent swimming and sunning. For my own part, I took my girl on the Mexico City subway, to the center of the city, to Frida Kahlo's museum, etc. But I did draw the line at trekking out the pyramids. Don't worry. She still saw them, and for that, I send a big thanks to my favorite ex-student, Pablo who lives in the city and was the kindest of guides for taking us out the pyramids and trekking up them with Donna while I waited at the bottom. :) It was great to reconnect with family, friends, Donna...and to be pampered, well-fed, and taken care of while enjoying some time off work and some real warm weather! Thanks to everyone! You're all welcome here in Chicago anytime!

Besos a todos y mil gracias por recibirnos, a mi y a Donna. De verdad fue un viaje inolvidable...hasta me da ganas de regresar ahorita. :)

Pics are up on Flickr. Yes, some of them are sideways...which I was going to fix, but it's too late now. The moment has passed. I've moved on to other things...you'll just have to suffer through my sideways pics. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home