Leane at 30
This past Monday was my 30th birthday. I'd like to say it was a stellar day, but long since past are the days when you get to play hooky on your birthday and go play with your friends. However, I would like to mention that had we been in Canada, I would have had the day off work and would have had a turkey dinner as it was our Thanksgiving. As things stand, I went to work and came home to bed early. Is this what life at 30 is like?
Here's a few things I've noticed about Leane at 30:
1) I've got a s*&tload of grey hairs. I've been dying them for over a year. Screw growing old gracefully. Grace has nothing to do with genetics making me grey before my time.
2) My body has found new and creative ways to go awry. Is this old age? Or is it simply my poor genetics at work again? I've never claimed to be a perfect biological specimen.
3) While my body goes haywire, my aorta holds stable. Let's hope that life AFTER 3o involves no further surgeries and I will happily deal with any further 'dud'ness that arises!
4) I have a job I love, but things have sure changed in the last few years. I used to hide my age because I was younger than some of my students. Now I hide my age because I am older than almost all of them! The level 1 students I currently teach have taken to responding to any of my sarcastic chastising that begins with 'Children!' by saying 'Mother!' I've got to find a new way to get them under control.
5) Of all the exotic places in the world I envisioned myself living in, I find myself oddly at ease, a Canuck greencard in hand, in 'exotic' Illinois.
6) I am no longer the hippie socialist I was in years gone by. I shop at AnnTaylor and worry about things like closet installations. I only truly get back in touch with my hippie roots at an Ani Difranco concert. This is when William is reminded that he found me not too long ago living in a commune, recycling, and shopping at the local farmer's market!
7) The feminist free spirit that I am has been married for 7 years (though I didn't change my last name!) and enjoying domesticity with my wonderful husband.
Speaking of wonderful husbands, mine made my 30th birthday celebration one to remember. He planned a suprise evening that involved dinner with some of our closest friends and dancing at a local 'salsa' club this past Saturday. It really lifted my spirits to see all our friends and to spend time with people we care so much about. :) It was an unforgettable evening. There are pics on Flikr.
Mmm...maybe 30 will be okay after all. :)
Thanks everyone and much love to my multitasking hubby!

2 Comments:
It's okay for socialists to worry about closet installations!
The party was great.
... Matt
Loved the post! Could it be cause 30s for me are getting dangerously close now?
And i agree, hippies and socialists and rebels worry about many mundane stuff too, so your political/social/economical have not much to do with that, but the fact the WE ARE GETTING SO DAMN OLD!! LOL
Luv ya prima!
Post a Comment
<< Home